IMPORTANT: Life Threatening Allergies Notice
Dear School Community,
The number of students with life-threatening allergies has increased substantially over the last several years. As with all children with special health care needs, it is important that students with life-threatening allergies are able to access all educational opportunities (including extra-curricular activities). For these children, every allergic reaction has the possibility to develop into a life-threatening and potentially fatal anaphylactic reaction. This can occur within minutes of exposure to the allergen. Some students who are very sensitive to their allergen may react to just touching or inhaling the allergen. For others, ingesting even the tiniest portion of their allergen or an insect sting can cause death.
We can all play a role in preventing such a dangerous and frightening situation at school. Our staff, students and their families can help to make the school environment safer. Your assistance is needed to:
Please check the list of ingredients on items you send to school.
Avoid sending any items containing latex with your child to school, including but not limited to:
Teach your children to understand this very serious situation and discourage teasing of any child with life threatening allergies.
The Old Rochester Regional Junior and Senior High School Campus is a Latex free campus. The campus includes all areas indoors and outdoors (including athletic facilities and fields). Each school will post a friendly reminder on our entrances and signs are posted throughout our schools.
We as a district understand the excitement surrounding the spring and the many school events (graduation, prom, etc.) that are held on and off campus. We are asking our school community to work with their building administration on appropriate (latex free) decorations that may be used on campus (including any items that may be latex based - ex. balloons).
If you have any questions please reach out to your student's building principal.